At Lightbulbs Direct we recognise that the transition from one technology to another can seem daunting and complicated.
This is why we have launched – “Direct Replacement”. It’s a series in which we simplify the process of swapping halogen lighting for LED. Here, we present a direct replacement for halogen with LED light bulbs.
Halogen lighting has been widely recognised as an energy-saving alternative to incandescent lighting. However, with the introduction of LED lighting, this claim became invalid as the real energy-saving king is LED. This technology uses only a fraction of the power to produce the same results as its’ outdated counterparts.
This is followed by reduced CO2 emission, which was recognised by authorities like the European Union. This was one of the considerations in the introduction of a ban on the use of halogen lighting in order to encourage everyone to use environmentally friendly LED light bulbs.
We start with discontinued halogen 28W Candle E14 and its’ direct replacement; LED 5W Candle E14.
Let’s compare both light bulbs
They have identical specifications when it comes to shape, power equivalent to incandescent technology, colour output and ability to dim. The difference starts when we look at the amount of energy both technologies are using followed by the annual running cost where the difference is staggering.
This combined with the average rated life of a LED light bulb makes it a superior halogen successor. Compare both technologies in this handy comparison table and make a smart swap today.
There is more to consider before making the transition when you have a dimmer switch installed. A dimmer switch allows you to control the brightness of the light output of a group or a single light bulb. Users of halogen compatible dimmers will most likely need to swap them for LED compatible one.
However, this depends on the dimmers’ load range. It is possible that a dimmer switch you currently own can still support LED light bulbs.
You’ll need to determine this with a simple calculation. Take the minimum/maximum load range of the dimmer switch and compare it to the sum total of the wattages of LED light bulbs. Please refer to our complete dimming guide which simplifies the LED dimming process in four easy steps.
This also applies to the situation when you use an existing dimmer as an on/off switch only. Unfortunately, this is not advisable when changing to LED. A simple solution would be to change it to a standard on/off switch. In the case where you only use the dimmer infrequently and wouldn’t miss the dimming option that’s the best alternative.
Remember we are only a phone call away if you need any more help with the transition to LED lighting.
Latest Blog Posts
- 2022 Energy Crisis: Who is the cheapest energy supplier?If you are looking for ways to cut down on electricity bills this winter, the best thing to do is make sure that you aren’t already spending more than you have to. Read on to find out how to find a cheaper energy supplier.
- Make your home shine with a stylish lantern lightWhen you mention lanterns at this time of year, we think of toothy grimaces carved into pumpkins – and they’re destined for…
- Lightbulbs Direct: behind the bulbsAt Lightbulbs Direct, we’re proud of our selection of light bulbs, and after having a quick look around our website, you’ll see…
- The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Light Switch Ons 2022The most wonderful time of the year is just around the corner, and councils up and down the country are preparing for…
- Switch to LED for the Most Energy Efficient Christmas LightsKeep Your Christmas Lighting Costs Low with Energy Efficient Christmas Lights Every year when Christmas lights start to pop up in the…
- Don’t stop at great lights, fit your house with ultrafast broadbandIf you’ve recently moved into a new property, or decided the interior of your home needed to be refreshed, you’ll likely have…
- Ultimate guide to kitchen lightingAs the hub of most homes, the kitchen hosts family dinners, parties with friends and day-to-day culinary genius. With this room being…
- Best security lighting for outdoorsBest security lighting for outdoors – Blend style, security and solar power with efficient outdoor lighting.