Switching to LED light bulbs is hugely worthwhile. Why? Because this light source is renowned for being incredibly long-lasting.
LED light bulbs now have an average lifespan of up to 50,000 hours. Here are just a few more reasons why you should invest in energy efficient LED today.
LED light bulbs versus other lighting technologies
The huge lifespan of LED light bulbs is one of their biggest advantages, which is made all the more impressive when compared to the life-cycles of other technologies.
- Incandescent – 1,000 hours
- Halogen – 2,000 hours
- Compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) – 15,000 hours
While LED technology is typically a little more expensive, however as they become more popular, the price has rapidly come in-line with other technologies, coupled with the fact they use far less electricity than other light sources and don’t need replacing as often makes them a solid investment.
So what is the average rated life?
LEDs don’t burn out like incandescent light bulbs but like all electrical equipment, failures can happen before the average-rated life has been reached, a manufacturer will assign the average rated life based upon the amount of usage observed before failure. At least 50% of the light bulbs are expected to last this long.
So only half my LED light bulbs will last the claimed lifespan?
Yes and no! The light bulbs on average will last at least half of their rated life, however, 50% will last much longer, manufacturers will assign a replacement guarantee for light bulbs that perform below the average rated life and for cases where a light bulb fails excessively early.
At Lightbulbs Direct, we want you to be able to buy with confidence both in ourselves and the products we sell. Any LED or LED Smart light bulb bought from Lightbulbs Direct carries a 24-month warranty with us, beyond this many LED and LED Smart light bulbs have extended warranties.
Usage per day
The amount of time LED light bulbs are in use per day will differ from home to home but you can judge the average lifespan you’ll get from yours based on the usage estimations below.
- 4 hours a day – 17.1 years
- 7 hours a day – 9.7 years
- 12 hours a day – 5.7 years
(based on an LED with an average-rated lifespan of 25,000 hours)
What else affects their lifespan?
In some cases, LEDs won’t always last the average amount of time specified due to a range or combination of additional factors, including:
- Surrounding temperature – Hot surrounding temperatures can shorten the lifespan
- Electrical stress – Running LED on higher currents than required can shorten the lifespan
- Chip fitted? – LED with constant current chips fitted combat shortened lifespans
- Heat-sink – LED with well-designed heat-sinks combat shortened lifespans
Thinking about purchasing LED lamps and have a few more questions?
Read our guide on picking the right LED light bulb, or contact a member of our team today.
Latest Blog Posts
- 2022 Energy Crisis: Who is the cheapest energy supplier?If you are looking for ways to cut down on electricity bills this winter, the best thing to do is make sure that you aren’t already spending more than you have to. Read on to find out how to find a cheaper energy supplier.
- Make your home shine with a stylish lantern lightWhen you mention lanterns at this time of year, we think of toothy grimaces carved into pumpkins – and they’re destined for…
- Lightbulbs Direct: behind the bulbsAt Lightbulbs Direct, we’re proud of our selection of light bulbs, and after having a quick look around our website, you’ll see…
- The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Light Switch Ons 2022The most wonderful time of the year is just around the corner, and councils up and down the country are preparing for…
- Switch to LED for the Most Energy Efficient Christmas LightsKeep Your Christmas Lighting Costs Low with Energy Efficient Christmas Lights Every year when Christmas lights start to pop up in the…
- Don’t stop at great lights, fit your house with ultrafast broadbandIf you’ve recently moved into a new property, or decided the interior of your home needed to be refreshed, you’ll likely have…
- Ultimate guide to kitchen lightingAs the hub of most homes, the kitchen hosts family dinners, parties with friends and day-to-day culinary genius. With this room being…
- Best security lighting for outdoorsBest security lighting for outdoors – Blend style, security and solar power with efficient outdoor lighting.