This summer, the Great Exhibition of the North will take over Newcastle Gateshead.
Over eighty days, the city will host dozens of events that celebrate the ‘pioneering spirit’ of the North of England, including live music gigs, visual arts installations, and demonstrations of cutting-edge technologies. More than three million people are expected to attend the Great Exhibition of the North over its three month run.
Included in the programme are several events that explore the North’s deep connection to lighting development, and some that incorporate LED lighting into impressive, large-scale works of art. Read on to find out all about these events and when you can see them as part of the Great Exhibition of the North 2018.
A Light Bulb Moment
You may not realise it, but the North of England is closely linked to the development of lighting over the last 150 years.
‘A Light Bulb Moment’ is an exhibition that will explore that history, starting with the work of Sunderland’s Joseph Swan who, in 1880, demonstrated one of the first ever incandescent light bulbs in Newcastle’s Lit & Phil. Visitors will have the opportunity to ‘find out more about the man behind the invention’ in that very same building.
The exhibition will then move on to talk about graphene lighting, which uses a new ‘miracle material’ developed in Manchester. Graphene is 1 million times thinner than a human hair and 200 times stronger than steel, and it can make LED light bulbs even more energy efficient.
A Light Bulb Moment runs from 22nd June – 9th September 2018.
Get North Water Sculpture
The UK’s largest water sculpture will be in full flow during the Great Exhibition of the North. The enormous, 80-metre long fountain will reach the height of the Tyne bridge and will be accompanied by three specially commissioned soundtracks.
At night, the water sculpture will include an incredible light display that takes in the landmarks around the bridge, featuring projected images that celebrate the North’s cultural heritage.
The Get North Water Sculpture will perform hourly between 10am and 11pm every day of the exhibition.
Ryan Gander – To Give Light (Northern Aspirational Charms)
The latest work by conceptual artist Ryan Gander will highlight ‘the North’s ongoing contribution to global innovation.’ It will take the form of a giant charm bracelet, and each charm will have a historical link to the North of England, such as Joseph Swan’s incandescent light bulb, and the Geordie Lamp. Each of these concrete sculptures will be linked together by a huge maritime mooring chain.
The exhibition runs between 22nd June – 28th August at Gateshead’s Baltic Square.
Tim Etchells – With/Against
Artist and writer Tim Etchells is known for his large-scale neon and LED works, including A Stitch in Time, a 22-metre long, 2-metre high artwork made up of hundreds of white LED light bulbs that was commissioned for the Lumiere Derry-Londonderry. The work is now permanently installed on top of old Rosemount Shirt Factory.
Etchells’ latest work will be exhibited at the Great Exhibition of the North, where it will overlook the River Tyne, and will ‘playfully expand on our understanding of local dialect and phrases.’ It is sure to be one of the most eye-catching works of the exhibition.
With/Against runs between 22nd June – 28th August.
For more information about the Great Exhibition of the North, including full programme information and how to get tickets, visit the official website.
Latest Blog Posts
- 2022 Energy Crisis: Who is the cheapest energy supplier?If you are looking for ways to cut down on electricity bills this winter, the best thing to do is make sure that you aren’t already spending more than you have to. Read on to find out how to find a cheaper energy supplier.
- Make your home shine with a stylish lantern lightWhen you mention lanterns at this time of year, we think of toothy grimaces carved into pumpkins – and they’re destined for…
- Lightbulbs Direct: behind the bulbsAt Lightbulbs Direct, we’re proud of our selection of light bulbs, and after having a quick look around our website, you’ll see…
- The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Light Switch Ons 2022The most wonderful time of the year is just around the corner, and councils up and down the country are preparing for…
- Switch to LED for the Most Energy Efficient Christmas LightsKeep Your Christmas Lighting Costs Low with Energy Efficient Christmas Lights Every year when Christmas lights start to pop up in the…
- Don’t stop at great lights, fit your house with ultrafast broadbandIf you’ve recently moved into a new property, or decided the interior of your home needed to be refreshed, you’ll likely have…
- Ultimate guide to kitchen lightingAs the hub of most homes, the kitchen hosts family dinners, parties with friends and day-to-day culinary genius. With this room being…
- Best security lighting for outdoorsBest security lighting for outdoors – Blend style, security and solar power with efficient outdoor lighting.