It may not be over for the incandescent just yet.
A professor at Texas A & M University, Yue Kuo, and his former phd student, Chi-Chou Lin, have been working on a Solid State Device that works just like an incandescent lamp.
An incandescent light emits light by heating up the inside filament so much that it glows and therefore emits light. The device does this but with filaments between 20 to 150 nanometres in diameter.
Kuo has called this a Solid State Incandescent LED where the D stands for device not diode.
In simple words, it is the Solid State version of Edison’s incandescent light bulb.
Kuo and Lin started work on this device in 2011 and believe it could be a cheap alternative to LED light bulbs as they are made with easily accessible materials and basic fabrication techniques.
One of the current problems with the device is efficiency despite it lasting 7,000 hours. When measuring the light they found that less than 1% of electricity was converted into light. Kuo does believe that the device will become more efficient than LED light bulbs but is unsure as to whether it will reach the level of LED light bulbs. Before the device even stands a chance to rival LED light bulbs (if it can) more work has to be done.
Since [the device] is a brand new device, there are many unknowns.
An engineering professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, Michael Shur, said:
I think it’s a very interesting, I would even say, a brilliant idea. Potentially it could be very cheap, it could be very robust and it could cover a huge area. This is the technology of the future, in my opinion.
Image belongs to IEEE Spectrum.
Latest Blog Posts
- 2022 Energy Crisis: Who is the cheapest energy supplier?If you are looking for ways to cut down on electricity bills this winter, the best thing to do is make sure that you aren’t already spending more than you have to. Read on to find out how to find a cheaper energy supplier.
- Make your home shine with a stylish lantern lightWhen you mention lanterns at this time of year, we think of toothy grimaces carved into pumpkins – and they’re destined for…
- Lightbulbs Direct: behind the bulbsAt Lightbulbs Direct, we’re proud of our selection of light bulbs, and after having a quick look around our website, you’ll see…
- The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Light Switch Ons 2022The most wonderful time of the year is just around the corner, and councils up and down the country are preparing for…
- Switch to LED for the Most Energy Efficient Christmas LightsKeep Your Christmas Lighting Costs Low with Energy Efficient Christmas Lights Every year when Christmas lights start to pop up in the…
- Don’t stop at great lights, fit your house with ultrafast broadbandIf you’ve recently moved into a new property, or decided the interior of your home needed to be refreshed, you’ll likely have…
- Ultimate guide to kitchen lightingAs the hub of most homes, the kitchen hosts family dinners, parties with friends and day-to-day culinary genius. With this room being…
- Best security lighting for outdoorsBest security lighting for outdoors – Blend style, security and solar power with efficient outdoor lighting.