Warrington Borough Council is spending £25 million to replace most of their streetlights with LED light bulbs.
The council will be replacing 18,000 street lights over three years. The switch is expected to reduce light pollution, energy consumption and carbon dioxide emissions.
A combination of fluorescent PL and Mini Luma LED lanterns from Philips will replace the existing SOX lamps. The new scheme will also come with a central management system from Philips, to allow the council to control the lighting.
Thousands of street lights have already been changed in a different scheme called Invest to Save.
The street lighting in Warrington currently costs the council £1.4 million a year in energy bills and is 17% of the authority’s total carbon dioxide emissions. Over 60% of the current street lighting has been in place for 25 years or longer.
The council said:
White light has been shown to make objects appear clearer and faces more recognisable, even if lighting levels are lower. This is especially important for the elderly and those with poor eyesight.
In Liverpool. the city council is switching all of it’s existing street lights to LED alternatives in an attempt to brighten it’s streets and reduce carbon dioxide emissions and energy costs. The £7 million project will be completed in phases over the next two years. The first phase began this month, and will see 12,000 SOX lights swapped for LED light bulbs. The maintenance costs are expected to be reduced by £2.7 million over five years. The council currently spend £2.6 million a year on energy from their 57,000 street lights and their illuminated signs and bollards.
Mayor Joe Anderson said:
We have decided to bring LED street lighting to Liverpool to improve the lighting across the city and make our streets safer. This will help to make our city greener and a better place to live by saving over 1,400 tonnes of carbon emissions each year.
Latest Blog Posts
- 2022 Energy Crisis: Who is the cheapest energy supplier?If you are looking for ways to cut down on electricity bills this winter, the best thing to do is make sure that you aren’t already spending more than you have to. Read on to find out how to find a cheaper energy supplier.
- Make your home shine with a stylish lantern lightWhen you mention lanterns at this time of year, we think of toothy grimaces carved into pumpkins – and they’re destined for…
- Lightbulbs Direct: behind the bulbsAt Lightbulbs Direct, we’re proud of our selection of light bulbs, and after having a quick look around our website, you’ll see…
- The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Light Switch Ons 2022The most wonderful time of the year is just around the corner, and councils up and down the country are preparing for…
- Switch to LED for the Most Energy Efficient Christmas LightsKeep Your Christmas Lighting Costs Low with Energy Efficient Christmas Lights Every year when Christmas lights start to pop up in the…
- Don’t stop at great lights, fit your house with ultrafast broadbandIf you’ve recently moved into a new property, or decided the interior of your home needed to be refreshed, you’ll likely have…
- Ultimate guide to kitchen lightingAs the hub of most homes, the kitchen hosts family dinners, parties with friends and day-to-day culinary genius. With this room being…
- Best security lighting for outdoorsBest security lighting for outdoors – Blend style, security and solar power with efficient outdoor lighting.